Most homeowners would like to see their home’s energy consumption decrease in order to boost energy savings. The experts at Jon Wayne are happy to help by offering our top 10 ways to drive energy savings higher, no matter the season.
These 10 tips can help you save money throughout the year:
- Use your programmable thermostat to set an energy-saving schedule, and be sure to implement at least one eight-hour period a day when you dramatically adjust temperatures for maximum savings. Most homeowners schedule these periods when the home is unoccupied or when they’re sleeping.
- Upgrade the insulation throughout your home. This action will create a better barrier to prevent heat gain during the summer.
- Seal the air leaks around your home’s exterior. When you close leaks, you’ll keep more conditioned air inside and reduce energy consumption.
- Use ceiling fans during the summer. Running them only in the rooms that are occupied will allow you to raise your thermostat a degree or two while still feeling cool, which will help your A/C consume less energy.
- Install a zoning system, which will help to regulate temperatures throughout your home and decrease energy waste.
- Change your system’s filter regularly to ensure proper airflow through the A/C. When airflow is constricted, your system will consume more energy.
- Ventilate your attic, which will help to move hot air out and ensure adequate circulation — and simultaneously help prevent moisture problems.
- Install weather stripping, applying it around window and door frames to prevent air losses.
- Close the shades or curtains on south- and west-facing windows to prevent heat gain from the sun during the hottest times of the day.
- Replace old, inefficient HVAC equipment, like your A/C or water heater, with high-efficiency systems that will dramatically boost your monthly energy savings, and maximize your investment over the life of the equipment.
By implementing some simple strategies to boost energy savings, homeowners can reduce their energy consumption while making their homes more comfortable. For expert advice, contact the HVAC professionals at Jon Wayne Heating & Air Conditioning today. We serve homeowners throughout the San Antonio area, including surrounding communities.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Energy savings image via Shutterstock