Proper insulation is one of the most fundamental ways San Antonio homeowners can prevent energy loss. According to the Harvard School of Public Health, 46 million US homes as young as 5 to 10 years are inadequately insulated. If yours is one of them, you could be losing energy right through your attic as cooled, conditioned air escapes and heat is absorbed. Jon Wayne has some information to help prepare you for the dog days of summer!
- How long does insulation last? That depends. Older insulating materials weren’t manufactured with the durability of modern materials, which can actually outlast the homes they are installed in. Blown fiberglass insulating material can last indefinitely.
- Does it matter if insulation is rolled or blown in? Rolled and blown-in each have benefits. Rolled (or batt) material can be more applicable if you’re ever going to finish your attic, or use it for storage. Blown cellulose will reach more nooks and crannies, providing more complete coverage. It won’t be used as bedding by rodentsand it can be made from recycled materials.
- Should I remove old materials before installing new ones? Removing the old material is something to consider. Rodents can rip rolled batting to shreds or soak it with urine and droppings, and leaky roofs can cause water damage. Not only does this affect insulating material’s efficiency, it’s also unhealthy. Jon Wayne offers a service where the existing attic insulation is removed and the attic floor is then sealed with expanding foam – then re-insulated.
- How much insulation do I need? That depends on a number of factors, but in general San Antonio homes need about 10 to 12 inches of insulating material with a rating of at least R38.
- Can you explain the R rating system? Of course! The “R” rating measures thermal resistance. The higher the R value, the more it reduces heat flow. When choosing insulating material, you should always buy based on the R value, not the thickness.
If you think you could save energy and money by adding insulation to your home, call Jon Wayne. We’ll be happy to answer your questions and find the right solution for your home!
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about saving money with insulation and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Jon Wayne Heating and Air Conditioning services San Antonio and the surrounding communities of Seguin, New Braunfels, Bulverde, Boerne, and Comal County. To get started, check out our website or see our current promotions.
(Visited 121 times, 1 visits today)